Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Windows 8

SLACKER!
 
Does this count as Facebook?

Wow, has it seriously been over two years since I updated? Can I blame the economy? Tough I.T. market? Price of tea in China? Nope, it was me. Totally forgot about updating it. I did forget. And I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids and your stupid dog.

Anyway it is time to look at Windows 8. Windows 8 is loved by many and hated by just as many. The problem with Windows 8 is that it was designed to run on tablets, which it does perfectly. But when they moved the exact same OS over to the desktop, they left in the table functionality, and that is where the problems lie.

Let me explain. 

On a touchpad, cursor movement is based on where your finger is placed on the screen at the time. On a mouse based system, cursor movement is based on where the pointer is in relation to your movement.

Since they left both in, users of the traditional desktop are confused as to why windows open and close, other applications launch when they weren't selected and do on.

Example:

You are happily typing away in a word document and you go to move the mouse.


And who doesn't happily type documents?

 Poof! Your document disappears and now the weather is showing. Wait weather?!?! I was typing a document! Let me close this.


Your work is replaced with a shower of tears.

Well let me close this out. Wait, where is the start button?

"I'll just call my 8 year old grandchild. They can fix this."

What is up with the new icons? What happened to them all being the same size on the desktop? Who designed this thing? Oh wait, I remember now.



Windows XP which officially retires next year was a great operating system. Windows Vista was horrible. Windows 7, another great system. Windows 8... (Are you seeing a pattern form yet?)

Bottom line, Windows 8 is great on a tablet.. On the desktop.. You are left playing the strangest version of Uno ever. Wait do I click the red card looking icon or the blue one?

"Chose wisely"


No comments: