Saturday, September 6, 2008

The storm that....wasn't


The winds started picking up last night and the rains came down hard. But that was about it. Our t.v. reception was out for about 30 minutes, then it came back on. All night long we heard it start to howl outside, and when we went to look, the branches on the trees weren't even moving. Like the storm rang our doorbell and ran and hid in the bushes.

I went out about noon today to check for damage. If insurance counted leaves off the trees, I can file a claim. Other than that, nothing.

The news channels up in Raleigh have been talking about the storm all night long. No damage to report on, so they jumped at the first story. "There is a report of a tree down in North Raleigh!!! We are sending a news crew now to verify!!!"

Now, don't get me wrong. I wanted to see a little something out of this. I guess it went along with all the preparations we went through just to prepare. Oil for the lamps, extra canned food, water, etc. And then nothing happened. Sorta gives you a feeling of "I prepared for this, and nothings happened? I wanna SEE something!"

Since Fran came into the state, I've tried to keep prepared. Before Fran, I didn't pay storms like that any mind. After Fran, I try to stay ready.

I remember sitting around the house because I didn't gas up the vehicle, and the tank was almost empty. I remember standing in line at the convience store for food. The owner opened up and rang people manually with a calculator, but couldn't give out gas.
I remember a refrigerator with food that went bad because we had no canned goods.
I promised myself I was NOT going to let that happen to me again.

remember the line "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"? That is how I like to stay during these storms. Anything unused can go in the hurricane supplies.

No comments: