Friday, August 8, 2008

Virus? What virus?


There has been a lot of discussion in the I.T. community lately about the DNS exploit. (DNS is a Domain Name System. Every website is recognized by a web address like 65.173.22.10, and the DNS is a way for people to type in www.ebay.com and the network knows that address points to 65.173.22.10. Think of it as a really big Phone Book for websites).

Anyway, the exploit deals with people with malicious intent to change the traffic, so that when you type in the address of your banks website, it points back to them instead. Pretty much all DNS servers are patched and can now deal with this. But I was looking in some tech forums and I saw someone who posted pretty much this response:

"I don't really see what the big deal is. It seems to me that every few months the IT industry cries about an exploit OOOH THE INTERNET IS IN TROUBLE!!! I don't see the problem, besides, how does this affect me?"

As a member of the I.T. community let me say Thank You to this person. It is people like you that keep us employed.

No comments: